- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Engineering Software
- Industry: Data & Insights
- Post Date: 10/13/2021
- Website: what3words.com
- Company Address: Studio 301, Great Western Studios, 65 Alfred Road, London, UK
About what3wordswhat3words is the simplest way to talk about location. It has divided the world into 3m x 3m squares, each with a unique 3 word address. Now people can refer to any precise location – a delivery entrance, a picnic spot or a drone landing point – using just three simple words.
Our mission is to become the global standard for addressing. Street addresses weren’t designed for 2021. They aren’t accurate enough to specify building entrances, and they don’t exist for parks, rural areas and many parts of the world. This makes it hard to find places and causes problems and inefficiencies on a global scale.
That’s why we created what3words. We divided the world into 3m squares and gave each square a unique combination of three words. It’s the easiest way to find and share precise locations.
Over the last year, what3words has been used in 193 countries, and our monthly active users continue to grow at an impressive pace. Our tech is used by emergency services, delivery companies, eCommerce businesses, ride-hailing apps and NGOs, and is integrated into the navigation systems of millions of cars around the world.
The role is for an Android developer to work with the tech and R&D teams to create and support SDKs and components for third parties to integrate with. It will also involve rapidly building internal prototypes and customer demos over platforms like Wear and Android Automotive. The job will be working closely with the UX and product teams as well, helping to iteratively develop new features.
- Create components, libraries and SDKs for use in partner products
- Provide documentation and direct support to partner integrations
- Prototype and develop applications and features to showcase our technologies
- Collaborate with our other mobile and front end engineers to make a consolidated portfolio of products
- Stay up to date on the latest technologies and trends in Android development
You should have experience working in a startup environment, delivering apps on Android to internal and external users, working with new technologies like speech recognition and OCR and be able to pick up new skills quickly.
- 3+ years Kotlin development in Android Studio or similar
- Extensive end-to-end experience developing mobile apps, from interpreting UX designs to working with product teams on recursive feedback and analytics/testing
- Experience building and distributing components for third parties
- Distributing software via Gradle/Maven
- Unit testing/UI testing in Junit/Espresso
- Ci/CD experience (CircleCI+Argo a plus)
- C++/NDK/JNI experience
- Using RESTful web APIs
- wearOS, Android Auto would be a plus
- Swift would be a plus
You will have:
- Excellent communication skills in both spoken and written English
- The ability to talk to techies and non-techies in suitable language
- A passion for development and staying current with technology trends
- The ability to work both independently and with others
- A focus on high quality software engineering work and attention to detail
- The ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
Extra credit if you:
- Like maps and location based services and know what a GIS is (we love maps)
- Are able to understand the business context of what you’re doing – understand the value your work creates.
- Enjoy learning new skills in scripting languages and how to use those to showcase our products
Our business development team is made up of bright graduates, experienced team builders and outstanding salespeople. We are looking for someone dynamic who believes in our vision for change and is excited to join the company at this stage of growth. We have a culture that encourages curiosity and imagination in how we achieve our goals, and an absolute focus on building a global business.
This is an incredibly exciting time to be joining what3words, as we begin to explore new global territories. We hope in 5 years you will be proud to tell people you were one of the early joiners at what3words.
Those with unusual career paths or career changes are encouraged to get in touch – if you instinctively understand what3words and believe your skills can help us accelerate our global growth, we want to hear from you.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at what3words
Our mission is to help everyone talk about everywhere, and we believe diverse perspectives make for a better company and better products too. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups and are committed to equality and inclusivity in our hiring processes and company culture.
- Competitive salary
- Life insurance
- Babylon Health
- Annual health assessments
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- Yulife perks and rewards
- Bupa Rewards
- Season ticket loans
- Cycle to work scheme
- VDU eye tests
- Birthday vouchers
- Weekly lunch & learn sessions
- Regular team lunches (office benefit)
- Generous parental leave policies
- Flexible working
- 6 week remote working (work from anywhere) policy
- Office perks; free breakfast, snacks & regular team lunches