- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Marketing/PR/Product Mktg
- Industry: Data & Insights
- Post Date: 10/13/2021
- Website: what3words.com
- Company Address: Studio 301, Great Western Studios, 65 Alfred Road, London, UK
About what3wordswhat3words is the simplest way to talk about location. It has divided the world into 3m x 3m squares, each with a unique 3 word address. Now people can refer to any precise location – a delivery entrance, a picnic spot or a drone landing point – using just three simple words.
Our mission is to become the global standard for addressing. Street addresses weren’t designed for 2021. They aren’t accurate enough to specify building entrances, and they don’t exist for parks, rural areas and many parts of the world. This makes it hard to find places and causes problems and inefficiencies on a global scale.
That’s why we created what3words. We divided the world into 3m squares and gave each square a unique combination of three words. It’s the easiest way to find and share precise locations.
Over the last year, what3words has been used in 193 countries, and our monthly active users continue to grow at an impressive pace. Our tech is used by emergency services, delivery companies, eCommerce businesses, ride-hailing apps and NGOs, and is integrated into the navigation systems of millions of cars around the world.
We are looking for a skillful and creative copywriter to join our studio.
what3words is a unique idea with the potential to change the world. Our copy team’s mission is to explain the concept clearly and simply, and to tell compelling stories that bring the idea to life.
This exciting new role sits within our performance marketing team, creating B2B and B2C digital campaigns for what3words in diverse markets including the UK, Germany, USA, Korea and Japan. It requires working closely with the rest of the studio – content creators, video team, designers and production – as well as other departments, particularly our language consultants and translators. You will have a tangible impact on the success of the business, and the opportunity to learn new skills.
We’re looking for a writer with demonstrable experience and understanding of digital advertising. You’ll enjoy using cultural insights and ad performance data to create new concepts, and to iterate on existing successes, constantly testing and learning. You’ll be working on ads for several different markets at the same time, so you’ll need excellent organisation, time-management and communication skills, and you won’t be afraid to get stuck into a spreadsheet!
You’ll be joining an exciting and dynamic marketing team
Our in-house team of 35 people is made up of marketing managers, PR, social strategists and community managers supported by our studio of writers, designers, video creators and our producer. We punch well above our weight for a small in-house team, creating consistently high level and award-winning work for ourselves as well as partner content for brands like Mercedes-Benz.
We have an open and collaborative culture, and encourage everyone to spot opportunities and bring new ideas to the table. We expect the entire team to get to grips with our strategy, and pay close attention to how our work performs in the real world, often iterating and making live changes to make sure we’ve got the most from any project.
Examples of what you may do in a working week:
- Writing 10 headline versions to test on a single image
- Working with our Japanese translator to craft new copy for static ads
- Finding a way to demonstrate what3words using German humour
- Scripting and storyboarding a first-person ad featuring one of our app users
- At least 3 years experience in a professional writing role
- A solid portfolio of writing including digital ads for social media
- Experience writing headlines and body copy for A/B testing
- The ability to write in different tones of voice
- Excellent spoken and written English
- A good understanding of strategy
- Organised, with an eye for detail
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to interpret creative briefs and ask questions when needed
If you speak another language, please include this in your application.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at what3words
Our mission is to help everyone talk about everywhere, and we believe diverse perspectives make for a better company and better products too. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups and are committed to equality and inclusivity in our hiring processes and company culture.
We offer the following benefits to all permanent employees of what3words:
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working
- 6 week remote working (work from anywhere) policy
- 25 days holiday: plus the option to buy more
- Share options
- Private health and dental insurance
- Annual health assessments
- Life insurance
- Wellbeing Days
- Yulife perks and rewards
- Generous parental leave policies
- Family friendly policies
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- Season ticket loans
- Cycle to work scheme
- Birthday vouchers
- Weekly lunch & learn sessions
- Office perks; free breakfast, snacks & regular team lunches
- Sports and hobbies clubs
- Dog friendly office