- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Engineering Software
- Industry: Data & Insights
- Post Date: 07/28/2021
- Website: what3words.com
- Company Address: Studio 301, Great Western Studios, 65 Alfred Road, London, UK
About what3wordswhat3words is the simplest way to talk about location. It has divided the world into 3m x 3m squares, each with a unique 3 word address. Now people can refer to any precise location – a delivery entrance, a picnic spot or a drone landing point – using just three simple words.
Our mission is to become the global standard for addressing. Street addresses weren’t designed for 2021. They aren’t accurate enough to specify building entrances, and they don’t exist for parks, rural areas and many parts of the world. This makes it hard to find places and causes problems and inefficiencies on a global scale.
Who we’re looking for
We’re looking for a Back End Engineer to join the team who enjoys solving problems, designing, building and scaling robust back end services. You’ll be working to deliver our product roadmap,choose technologies and deliver projects. At what3words, we’re proud of our tech stack. We have built a massively scalable, microservices-based architecture, based around Kubernetes on AWS. You’ll be exposed to technologies such as Docker, EKS, AWS Lambdas, Alexa/voice recognition, Argo, CircleCI, ArcGIS and other platforms.
This a great opportunity to join a collaborative and ambitious team, at one of the most exciting times in this company’s life.
- 5+ years Java/backend programming experience
- Experience working with services like Docker/Kubernetes/EKS, especially within the AWS ecosystem; Spring a bonus
- RESTful API design and implementation, working on B2B2C products and supporting external developers
- Collaborate with our DevOps team to deploy and monitor our applications in EKS, and manage AWS infrastructure with Terraform and CI/CD platforms like Argo and CirceCI
- Work full stack and cross-functionally; Python or .Net experience a bonus
- Ability to produce high quality code as part of a complete system, delivering complete solutions with automated tests, and following up post-launch (logging/monitoring etc) as necessary
- Deliver and support working software all the way to users
- Knowledge of DB schema design/maintenance (Redis/Aurora/Mongo/BigQuery etc)
The role is based in our London HQ (at Great Western Studios - ///filled.count.soap). While you can work from the office five days a week if preferred, our Engineering team can choose to work up to three days a week from home. We also offer a six week remote-work allowance; for up to six weeks a year, you can work from anywhere in the world (as long as you’ve got great WiFi and are happy to work on the HQ timezone).
Diversity & Inclusion
Our mission is to help everyone talk about everywhere, and we believe diverse perspectives make for a better company and better products too. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups and are committed to equality and inclusivity in our hiring processes and company culture.
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working
- 6 week remote working (work from anywhere) policy
- 25 days holiday: plus the option to buy more!
- Share options
- Private health and dental insurance
- Annual health assessments
- Life insurance
- Wellbeing Days
- Yulife perks and rewards
- Generous parental leave policies
- Family friendly policies
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- Season ticket loans
- Cycle to work scheme
- Birthday vouchers
- Weekly lunch & learn sessions
- Office perks; free breakfast, snacks & regular team lunches
- Sports and hobbies clubs
- Dog friendly office