- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Operations
- Industry: Data & Insights
- Post Date: 07/28/2021
- Website: what3words.com
- Company Address: Studio 301, Great Western Studios, 65 Alfred Road, London, UK
About what3wordswhat3words is the simplest way to talk about location. It has divided the world into 3m x 3m squares, each with a unique 3 word address. Now people can refer to any precise location – a delivery entrance, a picnic spot or a drone landing point – using just three simple words.
Street addresses weren’t designed for 2021. They aren’t accurate enough to specify building entrances, and they don’t exist for parks, rural areas and many parts of the world. This makes it hard to find places and causes problems and inefficiencies on a global scale.
That’s why we created what3words. We divided the world into 3m squares and gave each square a unique combination of three words. It’s the easiest way to find and share precise locations.
Over the last year, what3words has been used in 193 countries, and our monthly active users continue to grow at an impressive pace. Our tech is used by emergency services, delivery companies, eCommerce businesses, ride-hailing apps and NGOs, and is integrated into the navigation systems of millions of cars around the world.
What’s the role?
We’re at a stage of growth where all our systems, processes, the data in them and what we need them to be able to do are growing and changing quickly.
We need someone who can help us build the tools, and navigate this change by ensuring the information in our systems is correct, complete, and timely so it can be relied upon to guide our insights and direction.
You will need to run and maintain a fair few dashboards and reports across various systems and applications to make sure everything is as it should be.
Who are we looking for?
This role would really suit someone with some experience in a numbers-based / analytical role wanting to be in a fast-moving environment. You’ll have the chance to learn more about the commercial and consumer parts of a business, along with how data, its understanding and communication can really drive our direction and decision-making.
We’re looking for an adept problem solver, stickler for detail and someone who can hold lots of information and assumptions in their head at the same time, understanding how networks of rules and logic are being applied and what that means for all the information going in, and what we expect to emerge the other side. You’ll be most at home in a spreadsheet, but also know when this isn’t the right tool for the job.
You’ll know all the details about how information gets from one place to another and quickly be able to determine where to look if anything plays up, and how we should improve things and keep data organised so future errors are less likely.
You’ll be comfortable with solutions which are ‘good enough for now’ and setting things live before they’re really ready so we can learn fast, iterate and improve.
We also need someone who can work with both ends of the funnel, where the data comes from and those needing to make use of it, so being able to explain and understand things in technical language as well as plain English would be a big advantage.
A passion for what3words and our mission are a must. You need to truly buy-in to what3words becoming the global standard for location.
- Root cause analysis. Driven by investigating, solving problems and wanting things to be ‘just right’ (but knowing and being comfortable with them probably never quite getting there)
- Understanding the principles of how to build and maintain large data sets and databases
- A true attention to detail
- Comfortable tackling complex formulae and data sets in spreadsheets
- Pragmatism, and Ready, Fire, Aim attitude
- A clear and friendly communicator, able to explain things in the right way for the person you’re communicating with, be that technical or not using unnecessary jargon
- Qualifications or equivalent experience in a data, mathematics, statistics, logic or similar discipline
- A passion for what3words and our ambitions to become the global addressing standard
- Experience in a technology company or discipline
- Dabbled in coding (VBA, SQL) and/or automation tools (IFTT, Zapier etc.)
The what3words team is a mix of experienced entrepreneurs, people who have worked at the highest levels in large global organisations, academics, and bright graduates – it’s a good balance, and it’s important for us that we get the right person who is happy working alongside people from these backgrounds. We have a culture that encourages curiosity and imagination in how we achieve our goals.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at what3words
Our mission is to help everyone talk about everywhere, and we believe diverse perspectives make for a better company and better products too. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups and are committed to equality and inclusivity in our hiring processes and company culture.
- Regular team lunches (office benefit)
- Weekly lunch & learn sessions
- Private medical cover (for FT perm employees)